The Anacortes Museum exists to preserve and interpret the history of Fidalgo and Guemes Islands and to nurture in the community an awareness and appreciation of its heritage.
Founded in 1958 and established at the Carnegie Library building in 1968, the Museum is a department of the City of Anacortes. In 1983, following a successful bid, the City acquired the National Historic Landmark, the W.T. PRESTON, as part of the Anacortes Museum. In 2005, the Snagboat Heritage Center opened to interpret the history of the W.T. PRESTON and the two boats that preceded it.