Summers in Anacortes are always pleasant. We experience mild temperatures, nice cool ocean breezes and less rain than Seattle. Combine this with the surrounding beauty and we truly live in paradise.
This summer has been unusually warmer than normal, yet cooler than Seattle and other parts of Washington, providing plenty of opportunities to go outside and worship the sun.
One such Anacortes resident, Larry Elliott, spent this summer exploring some of the best places to kick back and relax on Fidalgo Island.
Here are Five Places on Fidalgo Island to Kick Back, Relax and Enjoy the Summer, because it is not over yet.
1. Cap Sante—Relax and enjoy the view. From the top of Cap Sante check out the hustle and bustle of the ever busy Cap Sante Marina. Pleasure boats, fishing boats and whale watching boats provides a multitude of activity for your viewing pleasure. Then there is the view of downtown Anacortes, the center of this wonderful community. Top off your day by watching some of the most stunning sunsets around as the sun sets over the San Juan Islands. All from this comfortable perch.
2. Ship Harbor—Enjoy this sandy beach on a warm summer day as the breeze from the Guemes Channel keeps you cool. Walk the Ship Harbor Interpretive Trail and the Guemes Island Trail, providing you with a great view and exercise. Bring a good book to read, listen to the call of the seagulls, or watch the Washington State Ferries as they provide passage for thousands of visitors. Whatever your preference, this hidden gem is a great place to kick back and relax.
3. Washington Park—We are fortunate on this island to have such a magnificent playground, such as, Washington Park. Walk or drive the 2+ mile loop, shrouded in forest lands and some of the most scenic viewing spots on all of Fidalgo Island. If you are fortunate enough, you may see a pod of Orca Whales from one of the vantage points as they swim by. Enjoy the other wildlife that call this great park their home. Make sure to stop at the top of the loop for a breathtaking view of Burrows Island, Rosario Strait and the west side of Fidalgo Island. After walking the loop, stop at Sunset Beach and enjoy a Pacific Northwest sunset and relax as you listen to the waves lapping along the beach.
4. Rosario Beach—This beach is a great spot to get in tune with the sea. At low tide, the tidal pools give visitors a close view of what lives below its surface. Explore, yet respect the home of some of the wonderful sea life that call this place home. A Discover Pass is required to park here.
5. Bowman Bay—Bowman Bay provides visitors with everything they need to enjoy a summer day. Some of the best trails are located at Bowman Bay providing hikers with impressive views and magnificent forests. Kayak in the protected waters of Bowman Bay. Seeking solitude? This is the spot. Relax, kick back, and just enjoy the peaceful surroundings and become one with Mother Nature. Or, bring the family and enjoy a picnic and send the kids off to the playground. Finish your day with a gentle stroll and watch the sun as it sets on the horizon. A Discover Pass is required to park here.
Fidalgo Island is a great place for adventure, excitement, outdoor fun, and it is also a great place to just kick back and relax. Coast In, Hang Out, Kick Back and relax in Anacortes.